The Church of Saint-Jean-Baptiste-de-Grenelle was built between 1824 and 1828, under the reign of Charles X, by architect Étienne-Hippolyte Godde, then architect of the City of Paris — the Diocese of Paris, for its part, credits a certain Bontat. It served the new district of Beaugrenelle, laid out by Jean-Léonard Violet and Alphonse Letellier on the former Grenelle plain. Its first stone was laid in 1827 by the king's granddaughter. Attached to Paris when Grenelle was annexed in 1860, it stands on place Étienne-Pernet, in the 15th arrondissement. Its neo-Gothic bell tower contrasts with an interior inspired by ancient Roman basilicas. Enlarged between 1924 and 1926, the church houses mural paintings by Henri Nozais depicting the life of Saint John the Baptist, and a high altar made from fragments of Notre-Dame de Paris's former altar, removed during Viollet-le-Duc's restoration.