The church of Saint-Médard, in the Mouffetard district of Paris's 5th arrondissement, succeeds a chapel first built in the 9th century. Construction of the present building spans the 15th to 18th centuries, interrupted by the Wars of Religion, blending Flamboyant Gothic with later classical additions. The choir, begun in 1550, was not completed until 1632. Frequented by Jansenists, including Blaise Pascal, the parish was run until the Revolution by the canons of the Sainte-Geneviève abbey. Closed in 1793, briefly converted into a Theophilanthropist temple in 1798, it returned to Catholic worship in 1801. Restored and enlarged in 1773 and again in 1784 by architect Louis-François Petit-Radel, it was listed as a historic monument in 1906 and has belonged to the City of Paris since 1905.